Fox and DreamWorks will team up yet again on How To Train Your Dragon 2, the highly-anticipated sequel to 2010’s smash hit. This week we take a closer look at the commercial prospects for this promising title.
How To Train Your Dragon 2
- This will be the first major release of the summer that is safe for families with young children. Disney’s Maleficent will be too dark for kids under 10 year old.
- The first film was a massive word-of-mouth hit. It opened to $43.7 million domestically on its way to an impressive $217.6 million final tally.
- How To Train Your Dragon 3 has already been announced, so Fox/DreamWorks are clearly confident that the second film will keep the brand healthy.
- Facebook activity has been staggeringly good since the release of the first film. The official page had 107K likes on the day How To Train Your Dragon was released and now it’s up to nearly 5.8 million.
- Unlike Summer 2013, this summer is not overcrowded with animated titles and that will work to How To Train Your Dragon 2’s advantage.
- Sometimes animated sequels stumble. Let’s not forget about the weak performance of The Smurfs 2.
From BoxOffice.com’s long-range forecast for HTTYD2!
Looks good so far!
Any comments, questions, or concerns?